Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Day 30 - Eyes Story



Eyes Story
Matthew Ryan Fischer

Six months ago my friend Eddie met a girl. 
“She touched my arm and for one brief moment I was living a life I wanted to live.”
That’s what he said about the first time they met.  That’s what he actually said.  How does a girl’s touch make some guys go crazy?  And how can one touch suddenly invert everything?
I was very disappointed in Eddie.  I’m not a hater.  I want my friends to be happy.  But it all sounded too good to be true.  I mean, Eddie deserves a girlfriend; he’s a great guy after all, but something in the way he talked about her was scary.  That sort of zombie scary that couples get when they’re too happy and all they can do is talk about life like it’s great all the time and everything is rainbows and puppy dog tails.  It made no sense.  Eddie was a major douchebag.  He’s probably my best friend, but the guy is a tool and there’s no way he would ever go for a girl that was all girlie girl and happy smiley and all that.  Eddie is a screw or be screwed, life is out to get you sort of guy.  If he was becoming all hugs and kisses then something was definitely wrong. 
The problem was I was the only one to see it.  Everybody else was happy for him.  Here she was, stealing my best friend and nobody seemed to care, least of all my supposed best friend. 
I thought things were bad then.  Little did I know what was to come, but then again, how could I?  But if I had, I would totally have rather he just have been one of those dudes that becomes sickeningly sweet in a relationship.  I would much rather have had that happen to my best friend than what actually happened...

*                             *                             *

“What is happening!?!”
Eddie was screaming at me.  I was busy peeling webbing off his face.
“Damn it, Reese--”
“I am trying to save you, you ungrateful son of a--“
“What is happening to me!?!”
Eddie was scared.  That’s understandable.  I was scared too.  Who wouldn’t be scared to wake up and find they were inside some sort of giant spider web cocoon?  That would totally be freak worthy.  And worse, you realize your girlfriend was the one that put you in there.  Double the freak out.
“You gotta trust me... I’m saving you.”
“From what?!  What... what is this?”
Eddie was starting to come to his senses.  He could see just what a screwed up situation this was.  He started to tear webbing off his body and legs.
“Dude I gotta just say it – I told you this girl was trouble.”
“Sheila?”
“Hell yeah, Sheila!  Who do you think did this to you?”
Eddie looked a little lost.  Apparently as you are being eaten by your crazy half spider monster girlfriend you tend to zone out and not remember things.
“But…”
“Trust me.  I saw it with my own eyes.  You two were getting it on and then she started spitting this all over you.”
“You were watching us have sex?”
“Totally not the point!  The point is I saved you.  Now we gotta run before she gets back and wants more than a snack.”
Then the hissing noise began.  It was too late.   She was home.

*                             *                             *

If she looked into your eyes she could convince you of anything.  The girl was a succubus.  Or a siren.  Or a harpy.  I can’t remember.  She was one of those.  One of those horrific things the Greeks were always making up for their stories.  They would look pretty and sing songs to sailors and before you knew it they were sucking out your blood and you were turned into a stone statue.  That’s what this girl was.  She was trouble.  And I was the only one who had seen it coming.

*                             *                             *

“Cover your eyes – if she looks you in the eyes she’ll eat your soul.”
“If I cover my eyes how will I know where I’m going?”
“Just shut up and run!”

*                             *                             *

Run!
Run for you life...
Out of the apartment… through the courtyard…
Where is she?  Where is she?
Why can’t I run faster?  Totally need to start working out again.
Hide behind that dumpster. 
What is this place? 
A construction site… row and rows of port-o-lets? 
How is this going to help us escape?

*                             *                             *

“Shut the lights off--“
Eddie did.
“I don’t think she saw us come in here.”
“How can you be sure?”
“I can’t, okay.  But what else can we do?  Look around for something – a knife or a weapon or something.”
Eddie didn’t say anything.  Maybe the shock of finding out your girlfriend is a monster was finally catching up to him.
“Eddie?  You okay?”
“I… I don’t know.  I don’t feel very well…”
“We’ll get you to a hospital.  Soon.  I promise.  We just can’t go out there yet.   We have to make sure she’s gone.”
“Reese… I--“
“No need to thank me man.  You’d have done the same for me.”
“No.  Reese.  Something’s wrong.  Look me in the eyes and tell me what you see.”

*                             *                             *

Idiot!  I’m such a freakin’ idiot.  The eyes – the eyes.  I should have thought about what he was asking me to do.  She probably infected him with some succubus sex virus or maybe the greeks had some male soul suckers too...

No comments:

Post a Comment