Saturday, January 19, 2013

Day 19 - Turn Story

Turn Story
Matthew Ryan Fischer

Left, Right, Left, Curve, Wall, Wall, Curve, Wall Dead-end.
Where the hell am I?  Have I been here before? 
How do I get out?
Stop.  Think.  Take a breath.  Get your bearings straight.  It’s dark, but you can see just enough to make out the twists and turns.  You don’t hear anything, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t there.   What do you smell?  It’s musty.  Stale.  Urine?  Feces?  Great.  Just great.  Someone left me a little gift.

Right, Right, Right, Curve, small room, door to the Right.
What’s that?  Metallic wet rot.  Blood.  Someone’s blood.  Are they still here?  Did they make it out of this sick trap?  Maybe they were so starved they bit into themselves.  That’s a nice thought.  Is that what awaits me?

Turned around.  Not sure.  Big room.  Have I been here before?
I know this place.  I have been here before.  This is first.  This is the beginning.  Maybe all roads lead back here.  Wouldn’t that be a kick?  No way out.  Just one long screw you.

Left.  Right.  Curve right.  Avoid the first hall on your right – it is a trap.  The wall is to your left.  Jag a step or two to the right, but keep going straight.  Curve right.  Stop.  Left or right... Left or right... Right.  No, Left.  You tried Right.  That goes a long long way to nowhere.  Turn Left and then hug the wall.  There are some zigs and zags but ignore them.  Just hug the wall and keep feeling for the next doorway.  They next doorway is to the right, but you don’t want that hall.  You want to go left, but not too far left.  That’s a dead-end trap as well.  Go diagonally left, but move further ahead.  Avoid the hall to the direct left and look for the entrance forward to the left.  GO with the curves… go with the curves… Hug the right wall this time.  Right side… Right side… when the split happens you’re going to go right.  Then you’re going to run like hell.  There’s nothing to the left or the right.  It’s okay.  It seems like a long time, but it’s not.  Don’t slam into the wall like—

—learn to not slam into walls.
Okay, just keep going.  Ignore the headache.  We do not go Left at the next stop.  We’ve gone left too many times.  Too many ways.  Too many routed.  No good comes from Left.  Just a lot of wasted time.  But can I be sure I’ve tried every way to the left?  I think so.  I think I remember them all.  I didn’t miss a hidden doorway, did I?  Some turn in the dark.  Some turn I could hardly see?  No.  Stop.  Don’t think.  You know.  Otherwise you’re just going to keep tricking yourself.
Right.  This time you go right.
It’s a long hallway.  It twists and turns and zigs and zags but it doesn’t really split or present any alternate options.  Is that a trick?  It’s been too long since there was a turn or a door or a hall.  It just can’t work this well, can it?

Finally, a stop.  About time.  All those curves were making me sick. Left or Right?

Right and then Right didn’t work.  Right and then Left didn’t work.  We’re back at the last split after the long zig and zag curves.  Right didn’t work.  We know that.  Don’t go looking for trouble.  Just try the left.  There were no other options.

Left it is then.

Curve.  Big room.  Curve Left, curve Right.  Curve Left, curve Right.  Curve Right then curve Left.  Another big room.  But a door to the left. 
Hallway.  Zig zag like the letter Z.  Once, twice, three times nice.  Small room, curve right.  Dead-end.  All that for nothing?  Jesus Christ.  I don’t know if I can even find my way back from here.  What the hell is all this about?  Where the hell am I?  Who is doing this too me?
Maybe I should just sit.  But you’ll starve.  So what?  Who cares?  I don’t.  Not anymore.
There is no point anymore.  I just don’t know.

Something always makes me get back up.  Determination?  Puzzle?  Fear of pain?  Of starving?  I get back up.
The small room where I curved right.  The wall keeps wrapping back around.  Feel the wall.  Hug the wall.  It’s going back.  Not a dead-end at all. 
Smell.
Smell… what do I smell?
Cheese!  Sweet sweet cheese!

No comments:

Post a Comment