Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Day 51 - Ghost Story


Ghost Story
Matthew Ryan Fischer

 “Lying across my bedroom floor, I feel the ghost still there with me.  Inside out and outside right, I’m going down like I’ve done before.  I’m here, I’m here, I’m here.  Touch me, feel me, need me.  I’m here, I’m here, I’m here.  Break me, save me, but please don’t forget me.  I’m here, I’m here, I’m here. ”
-- From the 1971 Eliza Vasin debut album “Mayflowers.”

No one believed Nancy when she said her coffee shop was haunted.  It wasn’t that no one believed in ghosts.  Plenty of people believed in ghosts.  It was just that no one had heard of a ghost haunted coffee shop.  That just didn’t fit in with the classic movie horror plots.  Was the coffee some spiritual violation of some sort?  Was the spirit still there because it had unfinished business, and that unfinished business was getting one last espresso shot?  It just made no sense to people.  It didn’t seem real.  Nancy didn’t care how silly it seemed.  She really and truly believed that her coffee shop was haunted. 
The ghost was not a very proactive ghost.  There were no major haunting activities reported.  No doors were slammed or dimensional portals opened or possessions that needed exorcising.  This ghost was a very dull and boring ghost.  There were tables rearranged and chairs placed in new places.  Sometimes the cash register was moved to the other side of the counter.  No money was ever taken.  Just the register moved.  One time the drink board had been rewritten in a new handwriting with slightly different prices and menu options.  It was a fairly unimaginative and innocuous ghost.
Still, Nancy wasn’t happy with having a haunted coffee shop.
Nancy hadn’t been much of a ghost believer.  When she was young she and her friends had played silly little games like sitting in dark basements at night with the lights off and the doors locked.  It was scary, but dark rooms with lots of shadows are scary to a little kid.  It didn’t mean she ever saw a ghost or believed in that sort of thing.  Some of her friends did.  Some of her relatives did.
Nancy asked around in an informal survey interview sort of way.  It turned out there were a lot of theories as to why ghosts existed.  One friend believed that ghosts were a sort of soul energy imprint left behind when someone died.  Another thought a ghost was sort of like a time traveler, phasing in and out of reality, lost in the flow of space-time and unable to reconnect with their actual time period.  Another theory was that Nancy must have had some hidden traumatic psychological damage and this was a manifestation of repressed memories.
None of these ideas helped explain why the ghost really wanted to move tables and chairs around in a coffee shop.
A psychic told her that it was one of her ancestors reaching out from the past.  The psychic couldn’t tell who it was or what they wanted, but for the right price, she could hold a séance and try.  Nancy did not pay a dime for that service.

*                             *                             *

 “You’re supposed to remember me.  I’m standing right here.  Try, try, try.  I know you, but I don’t remember.  I’m standing right here.  Remember me, remember you.  I’m standing right here.  Please, please, please, remember me…”
The song ended.  The music stopped.  Nika lifted the needle off the record.  She stood in the empty room for a few minutes and let the silence settle.  It felt good.  She always loved the silence.  It was so relaxing.  She thought too hard too often.  It was a challenge to get her mind to slow down and be in any one place for very long.  She hated labels like ADHD or ADD.  She preferred to simply think her mind was just overactive.  Music usually helped that.  She had really developed a thing for late 60’s and early 70’s folk and folk-rock music.  This was a song about a ghost that couldn’t be seen or heard or felt or loved.  It was so lonely it was lovely.  Nika liked it because it was from the perspective of the ghost.  Not a lot of people would write it that way.  She wondered what the song would be like if it had been written the other way – from the perspective of the person that knew a ghost was there but couldn’t quite tell.
Nika looked around the room.  She was tired.  It was late and she wanted to go home.  For a second she thought the tables were off, like someone had been moving them again.  But that was impossible.  The shop had been closed for hours and she was the only one there.  She was just too tired.  It must have been a trick.  She rubbed her eyes and everything seemed okay.  Besides, if the tables were off again, she could always move them back in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment