Saturday, August 24, 2013

Day 236 - Responsibility Story

Responsibility Story
Matthew Ryan Fischer

Nef entered the hall every day and sat in his chair and he waited, even though the hall was usually empty and it was only on the rare occasions that anyone else arrived to sit in theirs.  He was doing his job, he told himself. He didn’t care if they did theirs. That wasn’t his responsibility. And truth be told, he was a little relieved when they didn’t show up. He had grown to enjoy the solitude. After using his tongue and his wit for so long, he was happy to be quiet for a change. He sat, did his job in silence, and then left. That was a good day. There were a lot of good days like that.
As it turned out, one man doing a good job didn’t really amount to a whole lot when no one else was doing theirs. But that wasn’t his responsibility. That’s what he told himself anyway.
Cynthia came one day, after having missed many many days in a row. Nef couldn’t remember the last time he had seen her and pointed this out. She wasn’t there for his snide remarks. Cynthia didn’t do her job. She had inherited a fortune and decided she didn’t have to pay particular interest to her responsibilities. Nef hated that. He had always been an irresponsible and immature one, but here he was, taking things into his own hands and doing his job. He resented her and her money. He resented her willingness to live a life of leisure. A life he had once aspired to. And yet here they were years later, and he had turned out to be one of the respectable ones. It surprised him. If more people showed up to do their jobs, it probably would have surprised them too.
Cynthia was there to talk. Just what Nef didn’t want. He told her too. She wasn’t impressed with what he did or didn’t want.
“Sitting in this room doing nothing telling yourself you’re accomplishing something doesn’t make you better than us.”
“Inheriting a big house and a fortune doesn’t make you better than me.”
“Touché.”
“How is your father by the way? Still an island hopping beach bum with a taste for the offensively young?”
“They’re all young compared to us. And he loves it. Thanks for asking.”
“Touché yourself.”
“Are you going to ask me why I’m here?”
“I was hoping if I didn’t then you might leave.”
“You should be nicer to me. We could be friends.”
“We tried that. I don’t remember it working out too well. I think our fathers disapproved.”
“They were grumpy old men. They disapproved of everything. But look at how we’ve turned out. You grew up. No one would have guessed that. You take care of all family business like a good little boy. Who knew? My father might love you now.”
“I think I’m okay without his approval.”
“Are you okay without mine?”
“That’s… that’s a big subject. You sure you want to get into that? Didn’t you have something you came to say?”
“I did. But it’s oh so much more boring.”
“I’m probably going to regret this conversation no matter what we talk about.”
“Well I don’t want to add to your neuroses. We can table the ‘us’ conversation. For now. I came to tell you that your brother’s back at it with the hammer.”
Nef was silent for a moment. He took a deep and unhappy breath and slowly let it out.
“You’re sure?”
“Yes.”
“I thought he was through with all that. Didn’t we intervene enough? We took it away.”
“Someone must have given it back.”
“You’re sure? Why? Who would do that?”
“I don’t know. But I thought you’d want to know.”
“Well I don’t. I’ve taken care of him enough. That… that is not my responsibility.”
“You’re in charge of your family. You have a seat at the table. Of course it’s your responsibility.”
Nef sighed, but he couldn’t argue with her point. She was smug and spoiled and arrogant, but she was right. He hated that. He hated when other people were right. This was also a problem he didn’t want to deal with. He hated that too.
“We should have talked about ‘us.’ That would have been less of a headache.”
“We still can.”
“And what about my brother? You’ve got me all pissed off about my brother.”
“He can wait. I’m sure I can give you something else to think about.”
Cynthia slid out of her dress. She was right; she did give him something else to think about, if but for a moment. Nef had responsibilities, he knew that. He knew he would have to face them soon enough, but for a moment, he didn’t care. For a moment, he didn’t think at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment